Monday, July 24, 2006

MY GREAT SID 1916 - 2006


Two weeks ago we went to Hastings to say goodbye to my Great Sid. He was a very special person and lots of my family were there to remember all of his stories and to say good bye too. At the church there were lots of people to smile at and watch. Dad and Uncle Hamish got up to tell their stories about Great Sid and I waved to them both. Lots of my other family got up too. There was even a man who played the cornet at the end of the service because Great Sid was in the army when he was young. That was pretty special.

I first met my Great Sid when I was three weeks old. I thought he was wonderful and I liked to lie in his arms and look at his smiling face. Mum and Dad tell me that Great Sid thought I was wonderful too and he loved to hold me, and hear about all the things I got up too. He was very gentle and kind to me.

After meeting Great Sid on that first visit in Hastings I saw him lots of times both in Hastings and in Palmerston North. I have got lots of nice photos of us together which i'll be able to look at when i'm a big girl. He was a very special person to all of my family and everybody misses him a lot. We all think that we are lucky to have spent time with our Great Sid.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a lovely story about Great Sid. He really did love you. You were a very good girl and very helpful to have around at the church and afterwards. Just as for Great Gran members of the family said lovely things about Great Sid and there was a good crowd of people to celebrate their long and happy lives together. Thank you for being there Kate.
Love Grandma